Monday, June 11, 2012

And They All Got Stuck!

I did it! I cannot believe it! I am sorry, but I need so many exclamation marks, you cannot imagine... here, I will tell you why I am so excited:
Katy, from No Big Dill, has been hosting the awesome Once Upon a Thread (OUT) for a few years now, where bloggers sew crafts inspired on children's books. It is so full of inspiration that I could not resist, and fighting sleep deprivation and baby and toddler demands, I created the game version of our favorite Oliver Jeffers' book, Stuck.
Here is a glimpse of the book:
And this is what I came up with:
I drew all the different things that Floyd tosses up onto the tree on an old white shirt, using pencil and then fabric markers.
 Using some fun fleece that I had lying around, I stuffed all the things, and then glued pieces of velcro (soft side) to their backs.
I made a cardboard tree, glued the velcro (sticky side) as branches and used Mod Podge to cover the rest of the tree with fabric. Finally, I added a loop of thick fabric to the back (using contact adhesive and covering it with a piece of cardboard to secure it), so we could hang it up.
The game will probably evolve, but this is my initial idea: the players toss all the things one by one, and the person who gets the most things stuck to the tree, wins. For younger kids, it is fun to just stick and peel all the things to the tree.
If you haven't read the book yet, go get it now!
Cheers,

Gaby

3 comments:

  1. This is so stinkin' cute! And those drawings are amazing. Very creative!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :). Oliver Jeffers makes the best drawings!

      Delete
  2. You are so creative! That tree and the book look like so much fun! Keep up the good work and your creative ideas.

    Kay

    ReplyDelete