Monday, October 17, 2011

Halloweeeeeen!

I love Halloween. The decorations, the costumes, the candy :) Ever since I moved to the States it has been one of the things I look forward to all year round. I am not really into the creepy style, though (except for my custom made fangs, that I love to wear whenever I have a chance), so our decorations are more playful than spooky.
For our pumpkin, Sophie wanted arms and legs. We thought potatoes could do the trick:
I decided to go with the Dia de los Muertos style and just paint a sort of sugar skull on it (and added the black cat -not to be confused with a teddy bear- for effect).

The design on the skull to hang on the door was based on a beautiful drawing by Thaneeya McArdle.
The ghosts were gently cut by the hubs for our first Halloween in NC and are still going strong (see Sophie in the background, running after the bats).
I made the bats out of craft foam (inspired by this post) and hanged them from our beautiful Dogwood tree. They were an instant hit with Sophie, who chased them for a long time while they flew around with the wind.
And I thought the bunny needed a mask, because someone had to wear a mask! :)
I am still brain storming about costumes, and would love to dress us all in Dia de los Muertos skeletons, but I think Sophie will be a simple dirty laundry basket monster, since she loves to put it over her head and run around the house banging onto the walls (I will make holes for the eyes, though, if not how would she be able choose her candy?!)
Hope you are having fun with Halloween too.
Cheers,

Gaby

2 comments:

  1. What great decorations!! Love the bats and the mask on the bunny. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Lorie! I love watching the bats through the window, flying with the wind; and they are still very popular with the little one too. :)

    ReplyDelete